Tuesday, September 29, 2009

American Political Awareness

On September 19, I decided to have a cup of coffee at Starbucks. I had attended class that morning and wanted to go somewhere to relax.
While driving to my impending $2.79 espresso, I turned my radio on to a news station I like. The voices on the radio unenthusiastically explained, in their normal featureless way, the current events of the day. As I listened to reports about the deaths in Iraq and the healthcare crisis, I realized how incredibly numb I have become towards the news.
I passed a car on my right, and took the exit leading to Starbucks. A feeling of loss gives me a chill as I lock my car door. While walking up to the entrance, I gave a vacant glance to the newspaper stand outside the door, it was yesterday's paper. I thought to myself, if any sign should hang above this stand, it should read "Here lies the source of man's decline".
Approaching the girl at the register, I decided not to announce my disdain of lack of consideration. After all, it would be rude to tell her that when I was a manager there, I had always made sure my customers could purchase today's newspaper. Instead, I ordered my drink and she began to "small talk".
She asks about my day and I tell her that I attend Volunteer State Community college. She thinks that is "Awesome". She inquires what will my major be, I tell her journalism. All the while, I can't shake that feeling I had had while listening to the radio. I talk to her politely but I'm "not all there". 
Finally, with no warning, a question comes out of my mouth: "Mind if I ask you a few questions about some of the things in the news lately"? I knew how strange I sounded, but I also knew how strange I felt, so I continued after she agreed. I didn't tell this girl that I had been listening the radio and I hadn't told her how frustrated I was.
The question "So why do you think our country is at war with Iraq?" began our long conversation. The interview left me with no answer to that question. However, I did find it interesting that despite being unaware of the details of the Iraq war, my new friend felt a need to state that war is necessary. I wanted to argue but I didn't, it was only an interview, after all.
Leaving that conversation, I think it is safe to say that most people don't care about what is going on in the world. People are growing apathetic.
With all of this media and communication technology, today's generation, including myself, is missing the frightening truth. I had my conversation at Starbucks, because I wanted to be more active in seeking a way to understand politics. What I discovered is that our government is only as wise as the people in it. 
With so many bits of information coming at us, it may be impossible to analyze and comprehend what it all means. I'm not saying that Americans are dumb or that Americans need news suppression but, the media outlets and advertising outlets are a waterfall of information drowning a thirsty people who can only drink a cup at a time. As Americans. we must care about the politics of the world because, in the current political environment, our government's decisions will directly affect the individual. 

No comments:

Post a Comment